06 June 2009

Lunch anyone?

Nodders preside over a little lunch
Maharaja and Maharani of papier mache
Victorian period


the Menu

Gazpacho
~
Carrot, Avocado & Hearts of Palm Salad
with Lime Vinaigrette
~
Edna Lewis' Cornbread


Gazpacho Receipt*
makes 12 servings

2 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
6 cups Chicken Broth
2 large cans crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1 finely chopped seedless cucumber
1 red onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 red bell pepper,seeded & chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or to taste)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped (or to taste)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper




* my grandmother's spelling
I prefer a less HOT version so I omit the hot sauce and jalapeno pepper

9 comments:

  1. Yss please - lovely table and delicious lunch...xv

    ReplyDelete
  2. vicki, many thanks, great summer food. I love your FrenchEssence and subscribe. Welcome to the table and come back. G

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! it is a great summer recipe. give it a try. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. slurp. delicious, cold soup is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! Will try the salad this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the derivation of this gazpacho recipe? I see that it is your grandmother's, but since it varies in so many ways from the traditional Spanish recipe I've prepared for so long, I would be very interested to know. Thank you. Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curtis- thank you for commenting here at this older post-and I add one of the few with a receipt! No- actually it is the spelling of recipe that I claim to my grandmother. I do like the traditional recipe- my brother made it just recently and I have to say I prefer it-But this with pineapple is a refreshing twist- it is actually a weight watchers. It is good.pgt

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails