19 January 2013

heart felt

.
 friend & teacher
as a child-I was fixated on Helen Keller.
She became my first hero.
It started with a gift from my Grandmother Bess-a book of Keller's axioms that I still find inspiring.

 "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan, 1894 from the Perkins School for the Blind Archive.




there are many stories and photographs about both women on the American Foundation for the Blind here

.

7 comments:

  1. Stunning! Thank you so much for sharing this. I had never seen this before. Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! An amazing film — thanks for introducing me to Ann Sullivan's method. She was an amazing teacher, and she had an equally great student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miraculous. Too see and hear this is a JOY, how did this jewel rise from the past and find its way to you? I too was riveted by her story as a child as we were told by the Sisters the Miracle of Hope for those less fortunate thru her story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It truly is a miracle. I am mesmerized by this little video and not sure where I first saw it. pgt

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a child I was both mesmerized and frightened by Helen Keller, or the idea that such a thing could happen from an illness. What an amazing film, I too had never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so humbled. Infinite patience and expectations. Thank you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen Keller came to my mother's elementary school. Mom remembers her being able to touch fabrics and know what color they were.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails