29 April 2017

gratitude

The date finally arrived and my book is out there breathing. It's good to get the public airing—and to get the press it's receiving. Vogue.com, Ist Dibs, the Cut, have featured the book online, and House Beautiful has used the book to teach their Master Class in the May issue. I'm chronicling it all along with a list of events as the come up.  the moment they are by invitation and "local." Check out my website here for Press and here for Events.


From across the pond, British House and Garden reviewed the book for their May issue and The Times also did a great review.




Sunday, April 23rd, I did a book signing at Currey and Company in High Point at the Spring Market on one of the rainiest days I've ever attended (I've been going fairly steadily for about 30 years–but maybe my memory's failing me). The atmosphere their showroom is out of this world. The lighting the company has developed and expanded since the late eighties is both modern and traditional and grounded in craftsmanship. Their chef prepared some of my particularly favorite finger food so if you didn't stop by to purchase a book you have me to thank for the delicious cheddar biscuits with delectable cured ham inside. I strayed way far from my vegetarian leanings to indulge and it was worth it. Petit fours with my initials on a silver platter, shrimp, wrapped asparagus, and other things I didn't even get to see were all on my request. Bethanne Mathari of Currey and Co. planned the entire event–including jaunty music British actress and singer Jessie Matthews could have kept up with.



On Friday the 28th, I spoke to a group of young women about the book at the new showroom of Eatman's Carpets in Raleigh. It's just the sort of group I hope will like the book and embrace the sixteen women I write about and find inspiration in how these women decorated. The sixty-year-old family owned company has just moved to a new showroom and it's beautiful. A perfect venue —with lunch catered by Irregardless Cafe, another Raleigh institution that has been serving farm to table for decades. Betty Nelson and her mother Gay were wonderful hosts along with Walter magazine's Liza Roberts and Jesma Reynolds.


WALTER has an excerpt from the book in their April issue here


I'll be signing books in Charlotte at Capitol, Laura Vinroot Poole's internationally recognized women's designer clothing store. Very excited to be participating in a Mother's Day Event she has planned on May 9th. 
Now what to wear? 
For sure I won't be blogging about my planned "outfits." Catch me if you can in person. I'll keep you posted on my website as more events come up.









16 comments:

  1. So exciting and rewarding. Can't imagine getting to that point in the process. Good job Gaye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations is too puny a word. Your book is amazing. xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJH is correct! Congratulations is too puny! How about BRAVISSIMO!!!!! It is Italian! How about again!!! BRAVISSIMO!!!!!
      I FEEL BETTER.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful events! Your book is a wonder. I will make a comment on Amazon.
    Would you like to have a book event in Santa Barbara??? I would love to have it at my house; and, there is a lovely bookstore here in Montecito! Tecolote.

    I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just received your book and read it last night. It's a wonderful achievement, and I was happy to add it to my decorative arts library. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book is absolutely beautiful. I shall review it soon on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen thank you! I am so pleased to hear it. Please send me a link to it. pgt

      Delete
  6. I FINISHED YESTERDAY.........I LOVED THE WHOLE BOOK!FROM THE WORDS to the descriptions to the drawings!!!!!!!!!I had never heard of the woman at the end.......name escapes me at the moment but MY GOODNESS SHE IS ME OR I AM HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will GOOGLE and look for more INFO on her or maybe you can send me a link?Headed to LONDON for the GARDEN SHOW tomorrow............BUT WHEN I GET BACK!!!!!MUST STUDY IN MY GARDEN!!!PENELOPE.......do you AGREE?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO Glad you liked it-Lesley Blanch is the last woman in the book. She-you- you two are quite fabulous. So many great women in the book-and so happy you enjoyed it. PGT

      Delete
  7. La Contessa and I adored every single thing in your book. I am so delighted that you have written it for the younger people. Dear Lord. I am so hoping they will read and learn. No Pottery Barn. No Restoration Hardware. Collected treasures......past.....history......beauty.....craftsmanship! Antiques!!! Character! Collections.....interest.
    Thank God for your book!
    And others celebrating talented timeless decorators.....Emily Evans Eerdman...her books on Mario Buatta, Madeline Castaing, etc...... you women are keeping these enormous talents alive for the young generations......Hutton Wilkinson keeping Tony Duquette alive...... We will get beyond this unfortunate time......just like the "Danish Modern" in the fifties! (my mother was buying museum quality antiques with "grocery money"!!!)
    Beautiful things will never go out of style!!! I adore your book!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails