12 July 2014

monsieur DIOR

.
 "I am delighted to hear that Monsieur de Sales is a saint. He was fond of saying indelicate things, and used to cheat at cards. In other respects he was a perfect gentleman, though a fool."
Ambrose Bierce from Devil's Dictionary Quotes


"Monsieur, please be steadfast in walking in the vocation to which you are called." 

 St Vincent de Paul




" I can give you my word of honor." 
"And pray what may be the value of that?" inquired the amused Regent. 
"Monsieur, it is worth its weight in gold." 
 Ambrose Bierce-from Devil's Dictionary Quotes



 "Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." Voltaire



 "Might as well be frank, Monsieur. It would take a miracle to get you out of Casablanca, and the Germans have outlawed miracles." Sidney Greenstreet from CASABLANCA



 "For the love of Heaven, of justice, of generosity, of the honour of your noble name, I supplicate you, Monsieur heretofore the Marquis, to succour and release me. My fault is that I have been true to you. Oh, Monsieur heretofore the Marquis, I pray you be true to me!" Charles Dickens-A Tale of Two Cities



the impeccable frock coats from Christian Dior's haute couture collection,Fall 2014. 
what madame wouldn't give her eye teeth to wear?

the Monsieurs: 
detail by Jacopo Amignoni, the singer Farinelli and friends
Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais,1755, by Nattier
Louis de Bourbon, Comte de Clermont, 1771, by François-Hubert Drouais
Thomas Wentworth, 1761, by Joseph Blackburn
Admiral The Honourable Charles Stewart, by Allan Ramsay
detail Grand Duke Paul (later the Emperor Paul I), 1764, by Vigilius-Eriksen



21 comments:

  1. So exquisite. Hope they'll be around ages from now. I just read this month's W magazine and it seems the oligarchs and billionaires are wearing jeans and tees and tennis shoes that look like they bought at Goodwill though are of course expensive designer duds. Reverse snobbery methinks, but I would be more comfortable in the denim duds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I saw that too-interesting,but not convincing. What I love about these Frocks is they are worn with the perfect Uniform-pants and sweater, for me unbeatable

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted by your quotation from Greenstreet, which I can hear to this day. I admit I have a nicely curled old photographic portrait of him which he gave to my child mother while on a crossing on the SS Veendam, and inscribed amusingly for dancing on his toes. Of course I'd have given anything to have done the same. Possibly this irrelevancy will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everything matters here-and that is the reason I continue on. the sparking of memory-the fire of recognition. I am fortunate to be a little cinder. pgt

      Delete
    2. An ember, without peer, and may you never know it.

      Delete
  3. All one needs is Jeans, a simple Tee, Velvet Manolo mules from the Early 90s...of course curly hair upswept into a loose ballerina bun with wispy tendrils cascading! I'm in...J’ ADORE! Vanessa Noel made the most gorgeous mules back the with vintage textiles and trims...still love looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could, I would have one of each. When I worked for a small regional art center, we participated in a Mainly Mozart festival and we wore period costume. I was dressed in male costume and loved the coat I wore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such allure, that navy one is calling me (of course I can not answer) but always appreciate. they are the best things I've seen lately for women. that in itself says something about the trajectory of women's fashion fails.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the navy one. Alas... :)

      Delete
  5. Gaye they are all absolutely luxe, I can only lust over them, I almost can reach out and touch the velvets, the embroidery, exquisite! of course I enjoyed all of the quotes and the Monsieurs as well!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karena, I would wear it all the time, maybe a good substitute will come my way.

      Delete
  6. What a shame that I never see these articles in the shops that I frequent! All I'm asking for is a blue blazer with silver embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely there's a place to find them-but I don't think it will be in "Kansas." pgt

      Delete
  7. This post is heaven sent-divine. You definitely are an ember and thank you for all of your sparks!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. VT, yes, thinking of you wonderful photography in the same vein. pgt

      Delete
  9. The finest things - and a bit of humor - will always be appreciated. Loved the surprise of the Greenstreet quote, but see it fits so well. A miracle of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to keep things up in the air a bit! It does fit. pgt

      Delete
  10. My Mom had a coat like these made from a red and silver embroidered Japanese wedding kimono- I remember it as being spectacular- It went to the floor- she may still have it somewhere

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails