12 January 2009

the AGE OF INNOCENCE...





OR, Channeling Edith Wharton

The 2009 Golden Globes are over; Secondary are the awards- First is the fashion. That is usually what I tune in for- however, this year, I skipped the show and went right to STYLE.com instead. From what I can see- Edith Wharton is in. Of course - she is always IN with me- BUT it is nice to see GORGEOUS on the red carpet- especially when it has everything I love- historical reference, an edge and elegance. The two standout gowns were worn by Renee Zellweger and Evan Rachel Wood. Both actors looked terrific in their picks- or their stylist's picks -whichever the case may be. It would seem that anyone with a stylist would always be spot on-but we know from past disasters that's just not so.


Renee Zellweger-(in Carolina Herrera) Perfection! Channeling Countess Ellen Olenska- always out on a limb-a bit fashion wise.
(photo by Steve Granitz/ Wireimage)



Camille Clifford (1904) , corsets and bodices shaped with boning to loss of oxygen heights.




Gertrude Elizabeth. Lady Colin Campbell- by Boldini- National Portrait Gallery. The real deal- she scandalized society -her husband divorced her for multiple adulteries- much like the wrap against Countess Olenska.



(photo by Frazer Harrison/ Getty Images)
Evan Rachel Wood, Gorgeous and Young & what success as an actor! This woman is beyond her years. No starlet, but a bonafide star, Wood wears vintage Elie Saab, porcelain skin and titian hair (Edith again).

Side bar- Evan Rachel Wood is a native North Carolinian- Raleigh- that is- and how wonderful to see her looking so devoid of what must have been seen at the state's inaugural ball held over the weekend.



Madame X-Virginie Avegno Gautreau by John Singer Sargent~ scandalous professional beauty, again- of the titian hair, lavender skin, was rumored to have had an affair with another of Sargent's sitters- Dr. Pozzi. I think this work must be Sargent's most famous and most recognized. It certainly was his most controversial, due to Madame's depiction. Madame was not pleased.... still- I love this Sergeant work- maybe my favorite.





well read

Every year I plan my book list- Though I know well I will deviate from it- it is a great comfort to know I will have books waiting for me. I sleep more soundly in the knowledge that they are resting close by- waiting their turn. I recently read a post by A Bloomsbury Life that I wholeheartedly agree with; "100 pages"- if the book hasn't garnered my attention by then- I stop reading. There are too many books waiting patiently by my bedside to waste time slogging through a book that doesn't whisper, speak or shout to me.




this year's list- for the moment anyway.



RUSSIA HOUSE or my winter obsession

(photograph by Kari Haavisto)

For some reason all things Russian are appearing in my life. I have always loved the idea of RUSKKA- but little other than Doctor Zhivago, War and Peace, etc. and I admit those were only THE movies as such. I also admit that one of these movies stars my favorite actress Julie Christie. hummmmm? Not so much Russia then-But wait, as I moved along with RUSKKA- I discovered a wonderful book- The Irrational Journey- a travel log of Russia. I must now admit that my most revered style icon is that book's author- Pauline de Rothschild.
I have several copies.


Dust jacket and author's photograph~



So once again- maybe not exactly Russia. Wait there's more- throughout the years, Russia reentered my realm. My friend Peele introduced me to PAVLOVSK PALACE- in the form of a glorious book not the glorious PAVLOVSK itself and I fell in love- with PAVLOVSK-NOT with Peele.... So it continued.

Later pouring through Russian books on houses and architecture, museum catalogs, the movie The Russian Ark , I committed myself to Russia. This year I have been exploring a bit of Russian literature- poor Anna.

I plan to continue imbuing Russia- More about that later.





1 comment:

  1. my two of many favorite books (beside the classics) on the subject (Russia)are
    Galina: A Russian Story by Galina Vishnevskaya
    and
    A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes.
    I love your blog and reading it from the begging.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails