"at York Street at St James's Square"
there was“no getting to the door [of the Wedgwood shop] for coaches.”
image from The Magazine Antiques
(September 1990 issue)
"when you think about it ,
department stores are kind of like museums-"
And it came to pass:
from a recent CHRISTIES Auction here
A PAIR OF GEORGE III ORMOLU, CUT-GLASS AND WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE THREE-LIGHT CANDELABRA
CIRCA 1795-1800, ATTRIBUTED TO PARKER AND PERRY
Each with a faceted obelisk finial above six drop-hung branches with alternating nozzles and flowers, on stiff-leaf and berry cast column and four-sided concave pedestal headed by ram's masks and depicting women and children, on a leaf and guilloche-cast plinth with lion's-mask feet, the bases and branch ends marked variously with letters, losses and replacements to the drops and branches
In 1781, William Parker received a patent for candelabra bases of this concave square form. Between 1782-3 a set of four candelabra mounted on such 'patent' cut and gilt green glass bases on ball feet was delivered to the 5th Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth (see M. Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2000, p. 97, pl. 43). A three-light candelabrum with the same patent base in Wedgwood jasperware attributed to Parker is illustrated op. cit, p.107, pl. 54. A pair of two-light candelabra with jasperware bases and the same lion-form feet as the present pair, slightly later in date to the ball feet of the Chatsworth examples, was sold from the collection of Walter P. Chrysler Jr., Parke-Bernet Galleries Inc., New York, 6-7 May 1960, lot 495. The present pair differs in its lack of a canopy surmounting each finial, and the branches have most likely been added to. William Parker's son entered into partnership with the Perry family, to become Parker and Perry in 1802-03 and later Perry & Co. in circa 1820, the prolific chandelier firm who received the patronage of the Royal family.
The Wedgwood Museum.org here