07 February 2010

Moses circa 1823

.
an Aesthete's Lament's latest post Cut and Paste-(here) marking the opening of Met's "Playing with Pictures: The Art of Victorian Photocollage, prompted me to post this little gem.



Though my little treasure is circa 2000-it still maintains a touch of the sentimental attachments that are characteristic of the Victorian photocollage. My treasured friend-Dorothy- who has done some extraordinary collages on this order presented this to me-it features my MOSES circa 1823.





here are delightful photographs of some of the works on display at the Met show from the NYTimes article Playing with Pictures here.
.

4 comments:

  1. I was so excited when I saw the wonderful box that your friend, Dorothy, created for you. I have a fascination with paper ephemera and was enthralled with the Victorian photocollage exhibit when it was at the Art Institute of Chicago. Narcissa Thorne - creator of the Thorne rooms at the AIC, also created paper collage objets - similar to your "box". Some of these were in the form of wastebaskets and desk sets -- these were not decoupaged -- there is depth to them. My favorite antique shop, Donald Stuart in Winnetka, Illinois, has a number of Mrs. Thorne's pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I was able to see some of The Thorne rooms this summer. My GranMa was a beautiful decoupage(er) and I have some things I should put together and post. Dorothy did some Lamps too that are so special-what amazes is all the cutting-I have done some on occasion and it always gives me great pleasure and results. The pieces in this show make me want to recreate one with my own family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aesthete, I thought you might like. I hope to photograph some of Dorothy's intricate pieces soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails