25 April 2010

remains of the day: Iris

.

IRIS

    Ceres, most bounteous lady, thy rich leas
    Of wheat, rye, barley, vetches, oats and pease;
    Thy turfy mountains, where live nibbling sheep,
    And flat meads thatch'd with stover, them to keep;
    Thy banks with pioned and twilled brims,
    Which spongy April at thy hest betrims,
    To make cold nymphs chaste crowns; and thy broom -groves,
    Whose shadow the dismissed bachelor loves,
    Being lass-lorn: thy pole-clipt vineyard;
    And thy sea-marge, sterile and rocky-hard,
    Where thou thyself dost air;--the queen o' the sky,
    Whose watery arch and messenger am I,
    Bids thee leave these, and with her sovereign grace,
    Here on this grass-plot, in this very place,
    To come and sport: her peacocks fly amain:
    Approach, rich Ceres, her to entertain.

    (Enter CERES)

CERES

    Hail, many-colour'd messenger, that ne'er
    Dost disobey the wife of Jupiter;
    Who with thy saffron wings upon my flowers
    Diffusest honey-drops, refreshing showers,
    And with each end of thy blue bow dost crown
    My bosky acres and my unshrubb'd down,
    Rich scarf to my proud earth; why hath thy queen
    Summon'd me hither, to this short-grass'd green?

IRIS

    A contract of true love to celebrate;
    And some donation freely to estate
    On the blest lovers.

CERES

    Tell me, heavenly bow,
    If Venus or her son, as thou dost know,
    Do now attend the queen? Since they did plot
    The means that dusky Dis my daughter got,
    Her and her blind boy's scandal'd company
    I have forsworn.

IRIS

    Of her society
    Be not afraid: I met her deity
    Cutting the clouds towards Paphos and her son
    Dove-drawn with her. Here thought they to have done
    Some wanton charm upon this man and maid,
    Whose vows are, that no bed-right shall be paid
    Till Hymen's torch be lighted: but vain;
    Mars's hot minion is returned again;
    Her waspish-headed son has broke his arrows,
    Swears he will shoot no more but play with sparrows
    And be a boy right out.

CERES

    High'st queen of state,
    Great Juno, comes; I know her by her gait.

   ( Enter JUNO)

JUNO

    How does my bounteous sister? Go with me
    To bless this twain, that they may prosperous be
    And honour'd in their issue.

   ( They sing: )

JUNO

    Honour, riches, marriage-blessing,
    Long continuance, and increasing,
    Hourly joys be still upon you!
    Juno sings her blessings upon you.

CERES

    Earth's increase, foison plenty,
    Barns and garners never empty,
    Vines and clustering bunches growing,
    Plants with goodly burthen bowing;
    Spring come to you at the farthest
    In the very end of harvest!
    Scarcity and want shall shun you;
    Ceres' blessing so is on you.

FERDINAND

    This is a most majestic vision, and
    Harmoniously charmingly. May I be bold
    To think these spirits?

PROSPERO

    Spirits, which by mine art
    I have from their confines call'd to enact
    My present fancies.

FERDINAND

    Let me live here ever;
    So rare a wonder'd father and a wife
    Makes this place Paradise.

    Juno and Ceres whisper, and send Iris on employment

PROSPERO

    Sweet, now, silence!
    Juno and Ceres whisper seriously;
    There's something else to do: hush, and be mute,
    Or else our spell is marr'd.

IRIS

    You nymphs, call'd Naiads, of the windring brooks,
    With your sedged crowns and ever-harmless looks,
    Leave your crisp channels and on this green land
    Answer your summons; Juno does command:
    Come, temperate nymphs, and help to celebrate
    A contract of true love; be not too late.




fleeting, but oh so beautiful.
the iris

.

4 comments:

  1. That's a fabulous photograph. There is a wonderful painting of irises in the collection of Tate Britain, by Cedric Morris: http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?workid=10308&searchid=17443, which like your photographs captures their lusciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emile thank you for the link. gorgeous. The Iris is fleeting, complex, frailty on such a sturdy stalk. I harvested last evening because most have fallen over- and rain is due. The Iris also brings my father, and both grandmothers to mind too-another reason to love them. pgt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Iris and this may be the most captivating photo I have ever seen of these beauties. Love the color, light and the overall allure of this beautiful bouquet as you captured it.

    ~jermaine~

    ReplyDelete
  4. French Kissed, thank you so much, as I consider myself to be a loathsome photographer that means a great deal. I love the Iris too-the fleur de lis of course. pgt

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails