21 February 2011

Diane Dorrans Saeks on Lavender

.

"In fashion and decor, pale  lavender silk taffeta is a dream. The key is that it is most elegant when it is soft, shadowy, shimmery, silken and almost a fugue state. Palest lavender  in candlelight captures a mood of mystery and loveliness.  Is it mauve or lilac or puce or dusty pink? A color is always wonderful and poetic when you can't quite describe it. " Diane Dorrans Saeks


Lady in Lavender Dress
Thomas Wilmer Dewing




















Diane Dorrans Saeks , author, her blog here






.

7 comments:

  1. When I think of lavender, I think of Empress Alexandra of Russia who loved to dress and decorate with this colour. It was one of her signatures, and exquisite with the painted neo Louis XVI furniture that she had in many of her rooms.

    The illustration is exquisite, it recalls the style of a Degas pastel or one of my favourite illustrators, Christian Berard.

    Lavender is a beautiful accent to the shades of grey that are so fashionable in clothing and interior design today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SQ. I did not know that! I appreciate the intel, I have some photographs filed on her. I am so glad you mentioned it. The color is one I am very fond of & hope it has help make it appealing to some that do not feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I did a post once about the Empress's famous mauve boudoir, whose color was copied from a branch of lilac her husband gave her. Mauve was her hallmark color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I'm painting and ready to choose a color, one of the things I ask myself is, "Does it look edible?" I want ripe reds, greens from the garden, buttery yellows ,,, Maybe the lavender is the garnish that's tempting to eat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aesthete- again- will have to find out more- if you have to touch that post, let me know-have your archives been restored? everything with them seems so tragic- and that remnant of lilac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank God you said that to "Aesthete"!!! I do pray he will restore his blog. we will only learn from it!!!

    don't you love hearing something.....now and again?

    Penelope

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails