11 March 2011

in detail: my elements of design

.





As an art major- this is one of the many exercises I did when I was going to college. before the age of the internet- way. It was cut and paste. Do and Learn. Surely now- if it is even done- it is on a computer with certain programs to create the books (mine was a book) I still have it, or in a collage. It seems simple- aren't many things that bring us to draw our own conclusions, they were to be looked at as equations, simple math? The most perfect thing about the elements is there is no real right or wrong- just better examples, more subtle, more direct? It is that point of view that makes one designer use color and the next look on an all white palette as the perfect one. Design is subjective. Aren't you glad?  The rules are objective- and of course one knows they too are made to be broken.



My Elements of Design  based on THE Elements of Design (the facts) . It is always good to exercise-the mind. I do lots of fashion related posts. I enjoy the creativity in fashion, the textiles, the references, not so much trend-that I don't enjoy in the design of  interiors either. I think Interior Design is stagnant for the most part. What I see in most design magazines, at markets, design centers, and in advertising is repetitive, rarely inspiring and lacking  lots - loads- of  THE Elements of Design. Being inspired is probably the most exciting aspect of design.

Here's My List: & below the example of Each in the same order-





luxury
shape
color
juxtaposition
intelligence
embellishment
suitability
suitability
suitability
function
form
elegance
restraint
repetition
history
wit
ease

                   









all My Elements of Design are detail images from the fall 2011 fashion season at  VOGUE 
or
if  you prefer-
take a class from the designs of Leon Bakst for the Ballet Russe















above Costume Drama from World of Interiors, photographs from Alex Ramsay


.
.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you! This is the most stunning post on design, fashion details and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a stong sense that your design intelligence comes from wisdom.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to take a class from you!

    And, I suppose, in a way, I am.

    Thank You, Teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's good! I agree with Bruce, class is in session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned something as well.....stunning photos...k

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Beautiful Post! the designs of Leon Bakst for the Ballet Russe...stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And count me as your third pupil!! Just fabulous! I also am not into trends at least not when I'm aware of it because sometimes it's insidious the way it infiltrates your brain just by being exposed to it so frequently. So many details I loved - but gasped out loud at the blue boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your images are full of creativity and special attention to detail, which I too think are quite often lacking in todays interiors...design 'out of the box' would be wonderful to see more often and looking to fashion is obviously a wonderful place to get inspiration to do so.
    Fabulous post...one I hope many will derive a creative thought from!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your
    repetition
    repetition
    repetition
    in your glorious visual examples !

    jjj

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to keep up with class! I love the white with black Giambattista Valli and bracelet... and all the Ballet Russe costumes. Worldly + joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an esteemed class, let's all take turns. I think I am the luckiest person to have you come here and read what I have to say! class dismissed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I sometimes have a little trouble keeping up--but I really "get" this fantastic post...the blue boots and Ballet Russe are expressions of perfection. A million thanks. Mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails