09 February 2012

Deshabillé: Balenciaga

.
BALENCIAGA
Deshabillé 
1949.


casual or lounging attire
French déshabillé, from past participle of déshabiller, to undress : des-, dis- + habiller, to clothe; see habiliment



detail of The Halt during the Chase by Watteau



 Henri Sauguet  Chez Balenciaga, Deshabillé.
1959.

French composer Henri Sauguet designed this loose opera coat for Balenciaga in 1959- though my mother did not attend the opera that year-it was the year I was born- She could sing like a nightingale and might have easily sung this Creole Lullaby by Sauguet-

more likely it was this Lullaby-
still it was Brahms-
Lullaby and good night, with roses bedight
With lilies o'er spread is baby's wee bed
Lay thee down now and rest, may thy slumber be blessed
Lay thee down now and rest, may thy slumber be blessed


The Cousins by Watteau



 Mrs David Bruce,
Deshabillé
Balenciaga 1957.


detail of  L'enseigne de Gersaint by Watteau





Today Nicolas Ghesquière designs under the Balenciaga label.
read my posts on Balenciaga posts here
read at home with Evangeline Bruce here


15 comments:

  1. Always a treasure, the graceful flow of the folds, nearest to having wings...none more finer than by the vision of the Master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of your photo in the fabulous print Balenciaga evening coat! Beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Your thoughts were felt...I have the shoes by Mancini too match, both are Claudia de Heard Osborne's...teeny mule slippers ala Madame Boucher and the Watteau back on the Deshabille is positively floaty!

      Your a kindred Soul...

      Delete
  2. Magnifiques déshabillés!
    J'adore ces photos!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I want to look like that around the house! Nothing like a little silk. Especially duchesse:)))) I did buy some linen dresses that goes straight into the washer, though:), sigh -- silk, mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linnea- Yes- for the most part these days are long gone. I shudder to think what an "at Home" photo of me would depict.

      Delete
    2. That's why home is so good, one can relax. It must have been hard being a "professional beauty", like the lovely ladies above. High life must have taken it's toll from time to time.

      What a sunny lullaby. R. Crespin sings it delighfully. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous collection and comparisons of images and text.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have locked myself in my bedroom too! And, maybe have listened to Régine Crespin to soothe my déshabillé soul. A super-lovely weave, PGT. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, Me too- If only. The Regine Crespin we do not have to imagine-that is a beautiful Lullaby. I am glad you liked the post-it was fun to do. pgt

      Delete
  6. Couldn't these also be called a "Domino"?- What ever one calls them, they sure beat a mumu and scuffies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the decoration of the Bruce's London apartment. I once saw a sample of those curtains showing the pinked ruffles.

    The Williams mansion on Fifth Avenue, once home to the International Center for Photography, is now a private residence again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails