13 May 2013

the harmony of CLASH

.

Spring no longer exists in the South-there's a sort of Autumn and a sprint to Summer from there-with a few weird winter days scattered in May, and occasionally in the appropriate month of January.

the North Carolina mountains-at the moment are flush with frail green leaves shivering in the wind.
farther down the mountain at my house-greens are morphing into pinks-and whites-and lavenders-the colors I cultivate with the occasional deep purple-almost to the black. Sometime I think-why not add Yellow (I admit not a favorite color of mine in flowers)-with tangles of orange and red? Maybe if I had an estate-or even and acre-I'd be more at home with this arresting garden palette.



along with questions of clashing color-I can't help but think about clashing decoration.
Where are the Rose Cummings of interior design today? The decorator that dares to rival Rose's raunchy room I so love?

 The question is- would it be magazine copy? Could it be published? I recently saw this room captioned: "the worst! what was she thinking?"
I say: (oh clueless little one)

 ROSE was in complete and total abandon of expectation-especially in her day. She was a Rebel.
She was thinking, Fearless Design.




a close call to the answer Rose-would be Sig Bergamin, his own home (as was Rose's room), is much the same.A clash or color-but not of wills. Bergamin is in total control.






There are rebels-and there are rebels, more in design please. How I yearning for a Rose Cumming -Vivienne Westwood mash up. There's just something so simpatico about these two-don't you think?










Always reaching beyond a mood or period-but grounded in classical design elements-both.
Rose Cumming used fantastic chintzes to their fullest.
 Woe, to a single chair in with its legs primly crossed in the corner-that's the last one taken in the room. Vivienne Westwood takes historical dress and molding it into a modern way-swathes of silk wrap around a body or like Rose-a canopy?




















I must try the harmony of Clash in my flower beds this summer-

I vow to plant  obnoxious dinner plate Dahlias-clanging riots of Zinnias- Reds, Pinks, Purples...
reds, pinks, purples,
and maybe a spray of orange for Vivienne, and Sig, and of course Rose.


.

4 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT! BEYOND!!

    BRAVO TO YOU! PLEASE SEND PICTURES! YIKES!!!


    ROSE WAS WAY BEFORE HER TIME!

    HER PURPLE WALLS.....AND WALLS OF ANTIQUE MIRRORS!

    BRILLIANT!

    WHO KNOWS WHAT THE CURRENT OWNERS WANT........I AM AFRAID THEY WANT TO LOOK LIKE "MONEY" AS OPPOSED TO "BRILLIANCE!

    AND TASTE IS SOMETHING THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND"!! I AM SO HAPPY THAT I WORKED DURING THE TIME PEOPLE DID WANT :TASTE"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, current design is so un-fearless and predictable. I want to see new/old forms with renewed richness. How long must we wait???
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timely post. I recently put down an antique carpet that has my head spinning with the existing colors in the room. 'Clash' makes you think outside the box, and this post gives me lots to think about. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once read somewhere that a woman who had great taste in decorating, usually dressed poorly, and a well dressed woman usually never had any interest in decorating! Rose Cumming really dressed as she decorated! Great Post. Fabulous photos!

    The Perfect Life

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails