18 January 2014

Winter Sun

.

Konstantin Korovin,1919.

& Madeleines...



“One day in winter, on my return home, my mother, seeing that I was cold, offered me some tea, a thing I did not ordinarily take. I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind. She sent for one of those squat, plump little cakes called “petites madeleines,” which look as though they had been molded in the fluted valve of a scallop shell. And soon, mechanically, dispirited after a dreary day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake.”



Antoine Vollon, Mound of Butter

“No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory – this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me; it was me.- Marcel Proust


 .

5 comments:

  1. Good grief !! I was an "English Lit major" in college......and I took lots of what they called " " classes.......I studied this book......and I remember this sentence!

    The name of the category is not important (it will fly in like a bird!!) but Marcel Proust will always remain as a true guide through life!

    (this way; not this way. and that!!!) An amazing guide!

    As is your wonderful and beautiful blog!
    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read Mr. Proust cover to cover for a French course in college..........I think that there are, perhaps, more interesting topics. Love the art--Post Impressionism, one of my favorite schools.
    Have a super Sunday.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly what I need now. Going to bake and enjoy that tea and Madeleine in front of the fire. I will dream of the garden and hope the artic blast did not kill the buds on the hydrangeas.

    Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. I'm very happy with this posting's extending an option to associate a degree of fondness for and comprehension of madeleines in terms of the first canvas, balanced pleasingly by the controlled narrative fragment, without having to embrace the concentrated obsession so nicely established in the second association of canvas and text. Possibly this was not intended, but any leniency in commending Proust is always welcome, in the same way that it is amiable to be delighted by a sensation without succumbing to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails