18 May 2015

Ancesserie



It's really a dying art. Letters I received from my Grandmother during my summer sojourns to Georgia were saved and now cherished, and the letters I sent had been saved by her. When she passed away at the age of 107, my mother retrieved them. I thought- these meant something to Grandmother, memories of her flood back every time I revisit them. I've saved many letters from my loved ones, they make me laugh, and yes, some make me cry-but they all make me think of that person who took time to write.

My mother saved many pieces of correspondence from her family whose roots were in Maryland-their beautiful "hand" drifts across the page-some are written on embossed paper with an engraving from the sender,some just bits on lined paper, all in the most beautiful old colors. A letter on my father's side of the family tells of a soldier's encampment on the Rappahannock River during the Civil War-now framed in archival glass and kept in a trunk its sender carried through his war service.

This crisp Palmetto leaf is part of Lydia Derrick Wherry's collection  Ancesserie.



Lydia's family newspaper archives, The Edgefield Advertiser,  was the starting point for her company dedicated to preserving the art of letter writing. She believes like I do, in the power of the letter-or just simply a note-saying I Love You, infinitely more prized than a quick email.
How many of those do you save?


The Edgefield Advertiser is the oldest newspaper in South Carolina-its owners going back four generations. In a vacated press room Lydia discovered " beautiful cuts, copper engravings wooden and lead type from the time of letterpress...strewn about the tables and presses."




Along with these note cards, Lydia can do custom work on her note cards, and calling cards. Another thing I can't do without is note pads-there are some charming ones from Ancesserie.
This one, An Ear Full, is something I'd like to give, and often...


There are some quite lovely Calligraphy options available-opening a new way "to Keep" in touch.


I love these sweet little crosses,  so perfect for a Christening, or a note of condolence.




Ancesserie evokes a simpler time, a time when things mattered a little bit more. 
Stop and think about what that might be, and mean to you.
Chances are, Lydia is just be one step ahead of you, at

A N C E S S E R I E,  






3 comments:

  1. Yes, agree entirely with you. There's something so special about receiving (and writing) a handwritten note on beautiful paper. Long live the fountain pen!!!!!

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Gaye. Just think about the beautiful fracturs and such we now treasure. At least, the younger generation won't be able to read what we've written since they no longer teach cursive writing in school. Shameful says an aging boomer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do send out cards and collect them when I travel. Lydia's cards are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails