01 June 2015

in Remembrance


Emily Dickinson wrote of her beloved dog Carlo- " I believe that the first to come and greet me when I go to heaven will be this dear, faithful, old friend Carlo." I follow by saying if dogs like Carlo-and my Moses, do not go to heaven-send me elsewhere.


early on in this endeavor I wrote: Dog's provide a most sacred companionship to humans- asking no questions, making no reproaches. Telling no secrets. All reasons for our great love affair with dogs- or better yet, maybe it is that one and only special dog that finds us, who understands us, and accepts us and our burdens as their own.   Wills was that dog for my brother.
 

I wrote of the many dogs in my life & there was 1 particularly that I called Pretty Boy and it was Wills- in truth, he was beautiful.


" you think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." 
 R. L. Stevenson

With WILLS' loss, an era ends, there will be more years, and more dogs, but never another like him.

Everything changes, Nothing is lost. Ovid



16 comments:

  1. It's the saddest thing in the world to me. I always tell this to people who are dog lovers. It is by Edna St. Vincent Millay. "Parrots, tortoises and redwoods live a longer life than men do;
    Men a longer life than dogs do;
    Dogs, a longer life than love does."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That touches my heart like no other!! Thank you!!!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely, but very sad post. Wills is beautiful. I know our animals will be there to welcome us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our most precious friends. Be well. xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are very lucky to have those "one special dogs"; And I agree with Stevenson.....they will be there before us!

    We had one. Georgie. The "once in a lifetime dog"!!
    You won't forget him.

    Love to you and your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having recently gone through that with my little Lucy, I feel your pain. She was "that special dog" and I still miss her so. So sorry, Gaye. Hugs, Julieta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gaye, so sorry for your loss. Keeping our animals by us is how we know we are human--because humans are animals too. We belong to them, as much as they to us. I love the Stevenson quote! So Wills awaits you with wagging tail...

    Take care,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 'dog of my heart' was a Corgi named Taff. My condolences...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all share stories about our 'fur babies', a term I've recently heard. They are all beloved, all magical and for those now beyond our reach, they live as long as those who loved them breathe. Another unspoken connection is that only known to those who don't have children, a bond is borne upon first sight, like that of a parent. I sense you and your brother share that bond...and in so, share the grief of loss. I had two Cavaliers, Ruby and Rumsey...and it took me days to write this for I miss them dearly, even though many years have passed. Time does make the heart grow fonder...and yes, WE shall see them there awaiting us once we cross over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so sorry for your loss. I hope he's snuggling with Moses somewhere. I think there's nothing harder than losing a pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.....I guess the only thing harder is people who are "afraid of losing": a pet,,,,and don't get another one! Everyone loses!

      Delete
  10. I really embrace the courageous throwing-open of form in this pronouncement. This is human scale at its wisest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Wills. Deepest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails