19 June 2017

style LOVE: having a dress up moment HEIRLOOM MODERN


Vivetta



Delphine Manivet

quaint early 13c., "cunning, proud, ingenious," from O.Fr. cointe "pretty, clever, knowing," from L. cognitus "known," pp. of cognoscere "get or come to know well" (see cognizance). Sense of "old-fashioned but charming" is first attested 1795, and could describe the word itself, which had become rare after c.1700 (though it soon recovered popularity in this secondary sense). Chaucer used quaint and queynte as spellings of cunt in "Canterbury Tales" (c.1386), and Andrew Marvell may be punning on it similarly in "To His Coy Mistress" (1650).

Erdem



Giambattista Valli


Mui Mui





3 comments:

  1. I would not feel attractive in any of those gowns. Some are quite the disaster, bringing to mind Carol Burnett's cleaning lady character. How designers can fob this stuff off as fashion is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. while I wouldn't wear them, perhaps the first, and the one with Georgian like jewelry, I do recognize the softness and heirloom quality. when you look at the core pieces from the cleaning lady-check skirt, check blouse I'd think no one would argue with that.

      Delete
    2. Gaye, I agree with you about those two, and the jewelry is beautiful. It's just that I wouldn't combine them in that way - perhaps only the brooch, or only the pendant, but not both. Of course, what one sees on the runway and what people actually wear are two different things. Oh, and by the by, I love your book! It's a beautiful and interesting work, and I'm about to go through it for the second or third time. Great job!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails